Ok, ya’ll! In my last post, I had mentioned that we had closed on our first home last September. Super exciting and we were very proud but I will NEVER…EVER…buy brand new construction again. At least not from Ryan Homes/NVR.
I had always heard amazing things about Ryan Homes and how they are they leaders in new construction homes. My experience just goes to show you that you shouldn’t believe everything you hear.
When we signed the build contract, it was early on in our pregnancy. We knew when we were arriving in NJ and how long we had to get into the house. We legit had only about 30 days before we could no longer stay on base in TLF from the time we arrived. We made it clear that we need to be moved into our house by September 15 at the latest otherwise we would be SOL. They all but guaranteed this to us as we were signing the build agreement. I’ve come to realize people will tell you ANYTHING to get you to sign on that dotted line. Needless to say we didn’t close on time and needed the help of a lawyer just to ensure our asses were covered.
So we have closed and started to move in and for a brand new home a whole bunch of shit was messed up. Let me just give you a running list:
- Dishwasher wasn’t flushed with the counter top. So half the damn thing was sticking out. How not even the project manager noticed is beyond me.
- The granite counter top in our bathroom was completely measured wrong and not aligned properly.
- We have an amazing view of the apartments behind us. We were told that we would barely be able to see the apartments and there would be a landscape package put in. They FAILED to mention the landscape package wasn’t going in until ALL of the houses were built (our home was the 2nd row of homes built….).
- They used the cheapest paint possible because it literally rubbed off on everything.
- They already had to fix a carpet and hardwood issue
- Our ceiling has started to fall out lol. Yes you read that right.
- The cabinets in the laundry room were filed down at an angle in order for it to fit in the space. I mean really? You couldn’t just measure the space to begin with???
I mean there is other little shit but its not even worst wasting my breathe on. But here is the kicker that really has me considering talking to a lawyer…The building next door to us is “Affordable Housing”. Meaning that the people that bought the homes cant make over 80K(we paid close to 300K) and the houses are DRASTICALLY different than ours. They didn’t even give them GRASS!!! Now why is this an issue for me? NO ONE TOLD US IT WAS GOING IN AND I WOULD BE LIVING DIRECTLY NEXT DOOR TO A CLEARLY AFFORDABLE HOUSING UNIT. I feel like we had the right to know before we bought the house because best believe — I would never have bought the house. Not because I am bougie and don’t want to live next to lower income individuals. I would never have bought the house bc it drives down the value of our home. It is going to hurt us in resale. So most likely I will be not let this go.
Anyway, I have learned my lesson and will never buy a new construction home from Ryan Homes because the quality we received for the price we paid is ridiculous.
If you made it this far through my rant then BLESS YOU lol. Until next time…